Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Day 31 of 31: reflection

     I had very high hopes for this activity. I planned to do an entry everyday while my class was doing it. I was even going to turn the projector on so the kids could see what I was writing about. Unfortunately I fell short of those hopes. I think I only did 7 slices out of the 31 total. I did however project each of them as I was typing. I was able to have the kids do 1 everyday we were in school, well at least to give them time to.
    So what can I do next year? To truly reflect and use that to improve I have to look at what I can do differently. I think the first thing is to begin doing weekly slices much earlier, like maybe right from the start of school. I can then read more of the kids work and provide feedback. I think we can also develop our skills a little more prior to slicing each day. Those days that we did our slices first thing in the morning I was able to write more often. That tells me that mornings will work better. I also found that more of our slices would get read the earlier we posted them. I also think I need to find a better way to keep track of each student's blog. This year I did it mostly on the honor system, which worked well for most of the class. I did have some students who would do very short slices and I think I could have done a better job giving feedback and making sure we are doing good quality entries. I would also like to see a little more creativity from both myself and my class. Perhaps we should do a day where we write a poem or maybe a short story. I felt like a lot of our entries were retelling events in our live's and I would like to see more insight and thought.
     All in all I was very pleased with how this went. I heard about it only a month prior to beginning and we were able to put together some activities and write some very good slices in that time. The kids really enjoyed writing comments and reading those comments other people left. I think a lot of the class also really enjoyed our daily slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment