Wednesday, March 4, 2015

4 of 31 SOL: Basketball

     I have loved watching basketball for about 25 years now, especially college. I used to watch somewhere between 7-10 games a week during the season and all day every day during the NCAA tournament. Since I got married and had kids I have not been able to watch it as much and have limited myself to my two favorite teams, Northern Iowa then Kansas. My in-laws are very big KU fans, so it caused some friction in 2010 when the Panthers beat the Jayhawks in the NCAA tournament. I have tried to get our oldest, he is 14 now, to watch with me but it has not worked.
     Last night was one of the best basketball moments I have shared with either of our boys. We have done a great job getting both boys to buy into UNI & KU, right now our oldest, Chris, is a Panther fan and our youngest, 4 yr old Kai, is a Jayhawk fan. Last night the Jayhawks played West Virginia and recorded it on the DVR to watch after we had dinner and spent some time with my wife's parents. When they left Kaiden said he wanted to watch basketball. I was thrilled and turned the game on. He was really getting into the game. He was cheering for the Jayhawks when they scored and kept singing Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU. He stayed and watched with me for about 30 minutes. Once it was time to go to bed he asked me to come up and tell him who won after the game, so I did. This morning he had no clue I had woken him and told him, but was thrilled to know KU won.
     I hope to have many more games to watch with him the rest of this season and many more in the future. Maybe we can even get his brother to join us for a few games.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun, memorable experience for you and your kids. Looking forward to more of your slices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! What an awesome kid. I read and commented on a few random blogs today. You have some really talented students! I'm looking forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete